This summer, the Cincinnati Contemporary Arts Center and the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden present the first annual, FREE eco-conscious, artmaking workshop.
These two local leaders in sustainability and environmental stewardship seek to combine the worlds of arts and sciences to shed light on the growing climate crisis already impacting the Queen City. Twenty local artists will be selected to participate to brush up on their creative skills and familiarize themselves with environmental issues and solutions in the Cincinnati area.
Selected artists will be given exclusive tours of both the CAC and the Cincinnati Zoo. They will then be provided with upcycled art materials for creative reuse through an “open studio” at the CAC. The goal for each artist is to create at least one work of art focused on the theme of climate change in Cincinnati. Artists will then choose one work to be featured in a two-week-long exhibit. These works will be included in an auction benefitting the sustainability initiatives of the Contemporary Arts Center and the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden.
If you are interested in participating as an artist in this exciting, new interdisciplinary event, submit the following items to Aly Laughlin at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Three samples of previous works (in PDF, JPEG or PNG format)
- A cover letter (2-3 paragraphs) including:
- A short bio about yourself
- A description of your artistic process is (mediums, materials, etc.)
- And a statement about your connection to environmental sustainability (you do not have to have a background in environmental sustainability, just a desire to learn more)
Here are some key dates of this workshop*:
- April 8, 2020: Deadline for Applications
- May 1, 2020: Register for Tours
- May 13th: CAC Tour, 5–6:00PM
- May 14th: CAC Tour, 5–6:00PM
- May 15th: Cincinnati Zoo Tour, 5–6:00PM
- May 17th: Cincinnati Zoo Tour, 1–2:00PM
- May 20th & 21st: CAC “Open Studio”, 5–7:00PM
- July 1st: Deadline for Art Selections
- July 10th: Art Show Opening
*Due to the current COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus) pandemic, these dates are subject to change. We are hard at work to make virtual options available for the CAC and Cincinnati Zoo Tours. If we are unable to hold the “open studio” at the CAC, upcycled artmaking kits will be mailed to the artists.
Please note, you must be 18 years or older to participate.
As noted above, the deadline for applications is April 8, 2020. All applicants will be notified when selections have been made, by April 15, 2020.
photo ©Scott Kayser